To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, July 09, 2008 11:20 AM
Subject: [IxDA Discuss] Should external links really open in the same window?

Hi folks,

The conventional wisdom is that a link should not open a new window, even if it's a link to another site. Neilsen listed this as number 9 in the top 10 design mistakes.

But an unofficial survey around our office found that most people prefer links to new sites to open up in new windows/tabs. They said that new windows or tabs make it easier to explore links to other, possibly- irrelevant, but possibly-useful sites, and still come quickly back to the main site at any time, exactly where you left it. Some people said they *expect* sites to behave that way.

Should the rule that links should always open in the same window be revisited? Does anyone know of any real study or data that relates to this?

Trevor Thompson
User Experience Architect