The Swedish Administrative Development Agency, Verva
(www.verva.se/english), publish accessibility guidelines and they
clearly state that (my translation) "No matter if links lead to
pages within the same site or to an external site they shall open in
the same window".

I'm also quite sure that W3Cs Web Content Accessibility Guidelines
state something along the same lines somewhere.

And, the target="blank" attribute is deprecated in HTML and not a
part of the XHTML specification so there is no way to open a link in
a new window without Javascript.

My personal opinion is that I can easily choose to open a link in a
new window/tab but there is no way that I know of to choose to open a
link that opens a new window in my current window.

So make every link open in the same window but inform the user when
the link leads to an external site so they can choose to open the
link the way they see fit.

Best regards

Björn