Don't confuse user input with what the system processes. Outlook is an
awesome example of a time field being able to accept a reasonably large
array of time formats and internally translate them to something usable by
the machine.

There's a tenet in programming that sounds roughly like "input anything,
output perfectly", meaning that nearly any value in the known universe can
be entered into a system, and something will always come out and will come
out in a consistent, reliable format.

Technically, you'd want something as free as a normal text field. And then
when it blurs, have a Javascript event magically parse this text field into
a nice looking string. Just like Outlook.

Personally, I hate dropdowns because they fly in the face of this type of
interaction. Combo boxes would be nice too, but there isn't native support
for that kind of thing (there are webkits and what not).