Matthijs:  I have to respectfully disagree with nearly everything in
your post.

Ensuring valid input based on process is nearly guaranteed to fail
and ultimately would cost far more than implementing my required
javascript.

I don't believe there is only one group that can tell me what the
right choice is here.  The input from a usability testing group would
be much more useful than asking the users.  Amazon.com doesn't ask
users: "How would you improve our book buying process?".  They
watch users to see where they are having troubles with the book
buying process and then redesign those trouble spots.

For the single field with a colon character the user would not have
to type the leading zeros in "0030" to indicate 12:30 am.  Typing
"30" would fill from the right and would display ":30", clearly
meaning 12:30 am.  It would be trivial to zero pad this entry prior
to insertion in the database.

I agree that the disadvantage of two fields is the requirement to
tab.  Auto-tabbing can be annoying if you don't expect it.  Hitting
tab after entering the hours jumps over the minutes field because the
auto-tab put the focus in the minutes field.

Processing the field in real time is exactly what I proposed.  If the
users are indeed used to military time what would be the point of
converting it to am/pm?

Steven