I don't know, Lucy. It's hard to know if the multi-column would be better or worse if we were used to it.

Maybe we've all been trained to expect the row-by-row format since that's been the default for 10 years, but if this concept were actually implemented well, it might prove beneficial. Wonder if the luminaries have done research on this.

PS: Have you noticed that the image/results pairing is slightly random? Like they just grab any old image from the result site and go with it. I guess the algorithm needs a tiny bit of work.

-Damon

Misenreseau wrote:
Andy Edmonds wrote:
The UI design is interesting as well.  Multi-column search layouts
have typically not fared very well at scale, though I personally like
them just fine.
I hated that bit. I didn't know where to look, which column would
contain the most important search results? Just made my eyes jump around
the page and not land anywhere. Add to that the tiny font on the site
and its a sure fire "only with style switched off" app but I'm not sure
that the functionality is worth moving from Google.

Lucy