Nicholas makes a great point. The best (and only?) way to ensure
accessibility is to test with users who make use of assistive technologies
(not just screen readers).
Here in the US accessibility remains somewhat obscured, I guess we're
waiting for the courts to figure out what defines "accessible." Recently
Target settled a lawsuit for $6M with the National Federation of the Blind
regarding its website. While this does not provide a legal precedent, it is
at least an indication of where we're headed. You can read about the
settlement here:http://webaim.org/blog/target-lawsuit-settled/

An argument I have used to promote development for accessibility is that the
same techniques often make the site/application mobile-friendly. That seems
to assuage my designer colleagues to some extent.