Lauren,

You want to Google Hyperbolic Trees.

Best,
Jack

On Sep 5, 2008, at 9:57 AM, lauren wrote:

I've seem maps like this now and again, but can't for the life of
me remember where, and my research is turning up very little--I may
be using wrong terminology. I've looked for animated maps, bubble
maps, tree maps, hierarchy maps, data maps... and combinations
thereof.

Jack L. Moffett
Interaction Designer
inmedius
412.459.0310 x219
http://www.inmedius.com

First, recognize that the ‘right’ requirements
are in principle unknowable by users, customers
and designers at the start.

Devise the design process, and the formal
agreement between designers and customers and users,
to be sensitive to what is learnt by any of the
parties as the design evolves.

                                       - J.C. Jones