>From Janna

> We are creating paper prototypes for a change in software. We want to keep
them "sketchy" looking for obvious reasons.

> My colleague felt we should use a font such as chalkboard or comic sans to
keep the loose and sketchy feeling and won't look like a finished interface.

> My response is to use something like Arial or Myriad since it no longer
has  any particular connotations and people won't have any reaction to it
positively or negatively.

I've just come back from HCI2008 at Liverpool, where Beryl Plimmer presented
a paper on exactly this topic:
Louise Yeung, Beryl Plimmer, Brenda Lobb & Douglas Elliffe: Effect of
Fidelity in Diagram
Presentation

The paper should be in the ACM library at some point, possibly even already,
but here's a quick summary meantime.

They were interested in this conundrum:
- people comment more usefully on prototypes that look 'sketchy' and
unfinished, e.g. on paper
- they react most positively to prototypes that look tidy and finished on
computer.

The challenge: is there a 'sweet spot' of that combines a level of
scrappiness, to promote useful comments, and a level of 'finished'-ness, to
create something that people like to look at?

The answer: no, there is no sweet spot. They tested a series of five
versions of the same stuff (a form, as it happens) ranging from actual
paper, a paper-like version on a tablet PC, and then three further levels of
polish. All contained a range of introduced defects. The changes included
moving from handwritten, through a handwriting-type font, an informal font,
and 'polished' fonts such as Arial.

The responses were about as straight-line as you can get. Paper: most
defects. Most polished on computer: most preferred.

The only mild difference from the straight line was that paper was slightly
preferred over the paper-like representation on a tablet PC.

Bottom line: if you want users to give you substantive comments on a
prototype, things like whether it has the right functionality, then use as
sketchy a design as you possibly can.  If you want then to report of things
like whether they like it and the colours you have used, then use as
polished a design as you possibly can.

Further bottom line (before I get the prototyping police frothing at the
mouth): a clear limitation of this research is that participants were
reacting to static prototypes not interactive (as can be seen from the title
i.e. 'diagram'). I suspect, but don't know, that the paper might lose its
slight advantage over a paper-like presentation on tablet PC if the
prototype was more than a single page and there was an element of
interaction.

Anyone up for doing some further research?

Best
Caroline Jarrett