Hello I'm David Malouf, I've been a Facebook user for 3 years now.
... "Hello, David!"

Seriously, FB serves many purposes for me:
1) An amazing auto-updated addressbook ala Plaxo. Why is that a BAD
thing?
2) A twitter like status update, that doesn't have the heavy
conversational aspect of Twitter, but still NOW has commenting on
statuses.
3)  A means of connecting with people on topics, around events, and
other "meta" data that is harder in other social apps that I'm a
part of.
4) It has growingly become the platform of choice of many to share
media and links both to specific groups but also to the wider world.

As for the mainstream approach. TV is mainstream pretty unarguably,
but I know a ton of people who don't own or ever watch a TV. In this
sense Facebook is gaining towards becoming mainstream. E.g. There is a
Dentyne ad on the subways here in NYC that uses the phrase "Accept
Friendship" taken straight out of facebook. The system in essence is
reaching the "verb" level of mainstream amongst a very wide
audience, like when the verb "Google" started being used in TV
shows. And conversely we KNOW that when someone says yahoo or MSN
search that it was paid for. ;-)

Now to the design. I likey. can't really explain it to be honest. I
don't have all the words for it. What I do know is that it hides
stuff or allows me to hide stuff that I don't want like all the apps
and groups and shit I barely use if ever. But the more people complain
about "new FB" the more I shiver with the thought of going back to
"old FB".

I think people are being ultra-critical, sensitive, and negative
unnecessarily.

-- dave