The problem isn't the new design - it's that it changed too fast.  I
think Jared Spool's article about Embraceable Change says it all.

As for the actual Facebook, compared to Linked-In and MySpace, it's
much better.  I think what FB is trying to do is add more features.
For instance, now you can make comments on people's status.  Which I
think is a great idea because now, you're opening up the conversation
a little more.

And now, the applications are put into the back-burner, in a sense.
They're still accessible but takes a little more work to do so.

One thing I don't like are the tabs, but that doesn't mean they're
not useful.  I'm sure some people would like to just concentrate on
"photos".

All in all, I don't mind the changes (even though at first I was
resistant to them myself) and with any change, it takes time to get
acclimated.  FB just didn't give everyone enough time for that.