This has definitely sparked some interesting responses. I think the best
thing to do is to always go with what your users are saying. I am so amazed
by everyone's response and I am totally better off because of it (I'm sure
we all are).
For me, I deal with highly educated and complex users who absolutely hate
clicking and know how to rip through applications because they simply want
to set something up.There is a lot of data entry and setting of devices.
(Oh by the way guys, at this time in my life I'm working on internal/
external web apps and not websites. I should have said this from the
beginning. This is important to know)
It appears that everyone brings a substantial amount of experience and
evidence as to what goes where. For me, I'm very interested in reducing
interruptions and getting the user to use the system rather then focusing on
setting it up.
For most, it appears that they are focusing on North American public facing
users who are logically interpreting flow from left to right and top to
bottom.
Both make sense.
As always, test your own system against your intended users and calculate
the results.
I have learned something from everyone's input over the last few days...I
love this stuff.

On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 10:46 AM, Steve Boyd <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

> I'm really enjoying this discussion. Thanks to all.
>
> If we're talking specifically about a wizard style form, I tend to
> position the controls so that "Next" is on the right and
> "Previous" is on the left. This helps reinforce the notion of
> progression to my users. As others have suggested, I typically make
> Next a submit button and Previous a hyperlink so the Enter key
> performs the appropriate action. This also promotes "Next" as the
> primary action on the screen. Previous is typically a secondary
> option.

> Posted from the new ixda.org
> http://www.ixda.org/discuss?post=32945

Brett Lutchman