On Sep 22, 2008, at 9:54 AM, Brett Lutchman wrote:

Providing this illustration from the beginning would have saved a lot of wasted time on this argument.

You don't know that. Sometimes we have to go through this process to come to the conclusion that diagrams were needed. I don't call any of this 'a lot of wasted time'. You didn't have to be in the conversation in the first place. All of this is purely voluntary.

Really? Interesting how once you provided an example, the responses were "Oh, that's what you meant. Now I get it." However, before that point, there were a number of "I really don't see how that would work better."

And what you described wasn't what the actual example showed. What you described:
Next | Previous

was something that most of us know, would be counter intuitive, confusing, and contradict what you were claiming.

However, what you showed with the illustration:
NEXT
                                                Previous | Save & Continue

Immediately cleared up the confusion.

I'm simply recommending that in the future, you take a page from your own recent notebook and when providing something that you clearly think is controversial, which is what started the conversation in the first place, provide an illustration to "illustrate" your point.

That will save a lot of confusion and time. Additionally, it's clear your point will be made clearer and faster.

Anyways, judging by people's responses I have made a strong and justified case which has been accepted.

Once the illustration was shown.

Tested it how? With how many people? What's the whole story? What's the context?

Not even 1 of these questions matter. Even if I answered and said "I tested it standing on my head with 10 candidates in clown suits in this kind of context in this situation"...the fact remains that my users came to the conclusion that I suggested from the beginning.

These are the questions that matter. Bad data in, bad data out.

I'm not going to make a scientific case to go against 'years of scientific research'. Most people here don't.

And to quote you, following what everyone else does doesn't make it right. And I'd beg to differ with you. Those of us who do credible research actually do provide context when reporting what we found. Just look at recent posts on Search by Christina Wodtke, and past posts by Jared, myself, and others.

In all honesty I don't care about the years of research.

Clearly.

You have your degree and I have mine. I have learned way, way more by simply speaking to people to get answers. If you have read my bio there are 2 things I am know for saying:

Yes, we have our degrees. Whoopeee! I personally put more credit in someone who balances their degree with field work, then anyone staying in a lab, or only working in the field. It's about balancing theory and practice. Both are critical to the design process and making the "right" decision.

I never once suggested that the entire field should accept what I say as you stated in your response, but after long deliberation, I have come to the scientific conclusion that if everyone here listens to what I say, there won't be any problems.
I tested this.

Now, that's probably the most humble thing I think you've said to date.

Cheers!

Todd Zaki Warfel
President, Design Researcher
Messagefirst | Designing Information. Beautifully.
Contact Info
Voice:  (215) 825-7423
Email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
AIM:    [EMAIL PROTECTED]