Jared,
Most of your inputs on Site map and SEO are well taken. I must say a
good insight and a perspective to what i thought was always right. It
is customary to put in "Site Map" as a link where I work but I feel
its only essential if ever required.

And as you have said, "If users are going to your site map, then
there's likely to be something seriously wrong with the information
architecture of your site." summarizes the perspective the link
"SiteMap" should really be looked at.

There is this new "trend" of getting the site map below the fold by
listing all the links in the web site but to me i see no point of
doing this if the site as perfect navigation.

I agree with you about the 'scent' part and it has indeed been my
endeavor to instill in my peers this thought but not many would want
to listen. That is why I had earlier a discussion about "search"
(http://www.ixda.org/discuss.php?post=33254#33254) and the correct
terminology or icon representation that could be used because I was
searching for the same perspective amongst our community.