Norman,

Assuming you really want to stay at such a short sighted org, And assuming you think you still have a shot to change their minds, you may want to tap into Jeff Patton (Agile expert).

He spoke at IxD 08 and from what I recall from his session...developers do not really do the design. There's still point person (am not sure of title) who communicates to the developers and who must me very,very clear about what's needed.

I could be remembering wrong but definitely tap into Jeff or his body og work.

Sent from my iPhone