They know about Alan Cooper and Inmates.  I've given persona training to
prod managers at the company so they believe there is something there.  This
tells me that people without sensitivity towards design will doom design.
Alan Cooper's hardline sentiment is right, there is a war in a sense between
design and software development for skin in the game and enlisting design
skills requires buy-in at the top-general level.

As you can tell the head hancho is a developer at heart.     And I believe
he believes what he told me - that Agile will unleash the "creativity of
developers working directly with customers" instead of "centralizing design
in one team".   (of course, this is political cover for cost savings, but he
believes this change is viable)   I have no problem with solving minor
design issues/usability with customer input, but I know things turn chaotic
without a insightfully worked out plan.