Good insights here so far.

It's true that we don't know how this will play out, but it's a
very good bet that we're in for some very rough and turbulent times
ahead.  We've seen over 22 trillion dollars erased from the world's
credit markets this year, and we're seeing up close what that's
doing to our markets.  About the best thing that can be said at this
point is that we've all got some window of time in which to plan and
act.

Now is a very good time to begin looking at what each of us can do to
maximize our survivability as designers in uncertain times.  I like
Andrei's advice very much, just in general, as that's going to be
beneficial no matter what occurs.  I'll add my agreement to the
importance of building up broad skills, and directly implementable
skills.  Being "T-shaped," in your skillset will always be valuable
in terms of flexibility.

Also, it's important to consider the difference between those in our
community who work in corporations and the many of us that are
self-employed as consultants and contractors.  Or, work in small
consulting or design firms.  Economic turbulence can affect designers
differently depending on their individual work and employment
configurations.

In my career, most of which was spent as a consultant (either by
myself or with three or fewer employees), I found that consultants
and contractors can often pick up work from companies that might not
be in a position to hire or support full-time designers or design
staffs.  So in a downturn, consulting and contracting is one option
that designers should consider.  There are many challenges to going
it alone or with a few partners, but there are also rewards.

Consider looking into this option, if you're a corporate designer,
just as a fall-back option.  It's not for everyone, but there are
usually increased opportunities when companies are slicing their
employee counts.  The most successful products and services will
still need to be designed, so that design effort will have to come
from somewhere.

In general terms, look for ways to become self-sufficient.  Make
certain you can secure your own computer and software and make
certain you're as networked as possible.  Strong networks, such as
we have here within the IxDA community will likely be one of the more
valuable assets in surviving and regrouping during any serious or
protracted downturn.  Connect as much as you can.  And connect to as
many types of people as possible.

In shakeouts that come from economic downturns, it's inevitable that
some people will leave the field altogether to pursue or take
advantage of other types of work.  If this happens to you, remember,
you're not simply what you're doing at any given moment.  You're
the sum total of everything you've ever done and may do in the
future.  If you leave the design field, you will always benefit from
the skills you've gained in this field.  If you are forced to leave
the design field, try as best you can to stay abreast of skills and
larger trends in design and development, so that you'll be in as
good a position as possible to return, if that's your goal.

I believe that there's much collective wisdom here in our growing
community regarding the economic and career aspects of our chosen
discipline.  Let's all contribute to and take advantage of that
great resource, and IxDA will be a valuable networking resource in
the period ahead.

James Leftwich, IDSA
Chief Experience Officer
SeeqPod, Inc.