Hello Hugh,

It depends on the task:

If primary task is filling new form field after field from linear data
stream (copying data from paper form, for example), choose single column
layout (with labels on top).

If form processing is non-linear (as in editing partially filled forms) or
copying data from a source with a different data flow from online form,
choose layout with multiple columns to increase information density/reduce
information hunting. You might also consider three column layout, if data
presented is uniform (multiple date fields, for example).

If data comparison is important (as in Yohan's examples), present data in
tables.

I am very much interested in the results of your usability study, by the
way.

--
Oleh Kovalchuke
Interaction Design is design of time