It's interesting that no one so far has suggested that IxDs could actually
be in a great position during the current economic crisis. The notion that
we're all expendable contradicts what appears to be the current view of
Design (with a capital D) in today's so-called "experience economy".
More and more companies recognize these days that to remain competitive, and
even exceed, in the marketplace, they need to provide superior experiences.
Interaction designers are the people who enable that competitive edge.
Logically, IxDs should be in a great spot.

Yes, I know logic has very little to do with how people react in an economic
crisis, but from what I've seen, my theory is holding true. In fact, I swear
I even read something recently that supported it, but I can't remember where
(I just skimmed it—sorry).

I'm not sure the thing to do in an economic crisis is diversify your skill
set. Seems to me the people most likely to do well are the ones who excel at
something specific. I could be dead wrong, but at the moment anyway, I'm not
seeing it.

I know that at the same time the US economy has been sinking, I've been
picking up new clients at a faster rate than ever before. (Granted, most of
them are based in other countries, but the US economy directly affects many
others, so I'm not sure that matters as much as it sounds.)

All that said, I'm no economist, so I'm just thinking out loud here.

-r-