I managed to send my reply just to Andrei - sorry Andrei - not this
list. Newbie alert!

I agree that paying for content and services is one way out of this.
But how likely is it that Facebook will start charging when there's
countless other social networks that are willing to offer as much for
free?

In the UK Friends Reunited used to rule the roost, but its
subscription model caused uniques to go through the floor when
MySpace and Facebook turned up. OK, their downfall was partly to do
with the quality of the offering, but the couple of quid a month
played a big part. Friends Reunited recently switched to an ad funded
model and traffic is on the rise again.

I managed to prove at a previous site that paid for content could
work. We were a respected brand, the service was pretty much unique
(some imitators but nowhere near as good) and the products were easy
to buy via microcharging on mobiles, PayPal, credit cards etc. I'm
surprised so few content providers have tried this.