This notion of voter archetypes is used a lot as a rhetorical device in
politics. Even if politicians sometimes drill in a specific individual -
like this case - and we see the same thing occurring frequently in
Australian politics "A pensioner living on $xx/wk and receiving healthcare
etc etc will be affected in the following way by this policy change".

Like personas, these voter archetypes are intended to make a more concrete
connection between the policy and the 'real people' of the electorate.

This is the first time I've seen archetypes used so frequently and
prominantly in US politics, although that may reflect me more than anything.
"Joe Six-pack", "Joe the Plumber" and the "people on Main St, small-town,
USA" are all intended to evoke a particular image of 'real Americans' which
is exactly the purpose of personas - common understanding of an audience
(electoral) segment.

Steve

2008/10/17 Will Evans <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> Really good point you bring up though. I know when Steve Mulder was writing
> The User is Always Right - he really hoped it would gain traction outside
> the arena of UX people and be adopted by marketing and advertising folks as
> well
>
> On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 11:37 AM, Michael Micheletti <
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Steve 'Doc' Baty B.Sc (Maths), M.EC, MBA
Principal Consultant
Meld Consulting
M: +61 417 061 292
E: [EMAIL PROTECTED]