It is also clearly a cautionary tail in NOT using real user research before
making a persona. If you are pulling persona's out of the air, not doing
qualitative and quantitative research to derive your personas - you'll end
up like the McCain camp - with a toxic persona that lacks credibility
doesn't help you make your case either strategically or tactically.
Bootstrap your personas all you want, but when push comes to shove (and the
VP of marketing wants to turn your buttons pink), you need real personas
built on real research to validate your arguments.

On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 10:37 AM, Eva Kaniasty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I think that the Joe the Plumber incident nicely illustrated the danger of
> using a real person as a persona.  Joe went from the little guy striving
> for
> the American dream to a guy who doesn't even have his plumbing license and
> owes back taxes.
>
> Eva Kaniasty
> http://www.linkedin.com/in/kaniasty
>

> On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 6:20 PM, Steve Baty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > This notion of voter archetypes is used a lot as a rhetorical device in
> > politics. Even if politicians sometimes drill in a specific individual -
> > like this case - and we see the same thing occurring frequently in
> > Australian politics "A pensioner living on $xx/wk and receiving
> healthcare
> > etc etc will be affected in the following way by this policy change".
> >
> > Like personas, these voter archetypes are intended to make a more
> concrete
> > connection between the policy and the 'real people' of the electorate.
> >
> > This is the first time I've seen archetypes used so frequently and
> > prominantly in US politics, although that may reflect me more than
> > anything.
> > "Joe Six-pack", "Joe the Plumber" and the "people on Main St, small-town,
> > USA" are all intended to evoke a particular image of 'real Americans'
> which
> > is exactly the purpose of personas - common understanding of an audience
> > (electoral) segment.
> >
> > Steve
> >
> > 2008/10/17 Will Evans <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >

> > > Really good point you bring up though. I know when Steve Mulder was
> > writing
> > > The User is Always Right - he really hoped it would gain traction
> outside
> > > the arena of UX people and be adopted by marketing and advertising
> folks
> > as
> > > well
> > >
> > > On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 11:37 AM, Michael Micheletti <
> > > [EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > >

> > --
> > Steve 'Doc' Baty B.Sc (Maths), M.EC, MBA
> > Principal Consultant
> > Meld Consulting
> > M: +61 417 061 292
> > E: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >
> > UX Statistics: http://uxstats.blogspot.com
> >
> > Member, UPA - www.upassoc.org
> > Member, IA Institute - www.iainstitute.org
> > Member, IxDA - www.ixda.org
> > Contributor - UXMatters - www.uxmatters.com

~ will

"Where you innovate, how you innovate,
and what you innovate are design problems"

Will Evans | User Experience Architect
tel: +1.617.281.1281 | [EMAIL PROTECTED]
aim: semanticwill     |  gtalk: wkevans4
twitter: semanticwill | skype: semanticwill