I think I really started wondering about the question because there
are many approaches to software development that incorporate the
strategies the Interaction Design discussions here have taken.

I think in researching this question, the real answer comes from the
approach you take to (in my case) software development. I believe
users needs in terms of how they interact with the software are just
as important as how they interact with the data, so having an
"Interaction Designer" is really just a software developer who
focuses on requirements from a visual/user interaction perspective.

An "Interface Designer" is more likely to be, as I have seen
mentioned, someone who comes in later in the process to design
screens after requirements have been gathered.

However, some may feel the term Interface Designer is sufficient
already, because an "interface" is any scope where a user interacts
with a device, so...

Interaction (what the user does with an interface) Design
vs
Interface (what the user uses to manipulate the device) Design