I'm an on/off twitter.com user.. however.. a colleague in our 35
strong UX team hand-rolled a Twitter 'Clone' for internal use.
Essentially its a hacked WP blog open to the team to make short
status & question posts.

With the team spread across 4 buildings and 80 product sets its
proving extraordinarily useful in eliminating the whitespace among
us.

For anyone working on large distributed teams I highly recommend
building something that's aligned with the principles behind the
twitter.com concept.  Keeping it on your intranet maintains any IP
discussed.

/pauric
/@radiorental