Twitter's beauty is in it's simplicity. Sure, it may reinforce a whole bunch
of crap; but I can tweet something and follow up via email, phone, or in
person. If you throw all your fish in one bucket, it's not all that
effective. Once you build relationships, those 140 character tweets are bits
of larger conversations.

For a lot of people, it's pure voyeurism. Waste of time, boring, yawn, who
the f*** cares about a cat peeing on a carpet. For others, it's a tool that
enables connections, relationships, and quick communications. It is what
goes on behind the scenes that is magic. If you've ever gone to a tweetup,
you'd see how twitter has helped created great friendships.

I keep saying that it's not about how many followers you have, it's about
the quality of your stream. I'm managing with 170 or so and I tweak as
necessary. Just because I don't follow people back doesn't mean I don't read
their tweets, I just do it offline. It's difficult to manage so much traffic
at once. I also always reply to @ messsages.

It has given me access to a worldwide network of experts and I've developed
some great personal relationships as a result. I have better relationships
with my twitter friends than with people I see every day. It fits my need
and has made me even more productive.

Like everything your use and participation is what you make of it. My wife
also thinks it's lame, but she has no use for it, other than I can direct
message her email account from twitter :)

I think twitter is great, although their infrastructure has caused us all
headaches at one time or another.

It's not for everybody; however, it's made me rethink a lot of the way that
I design interactions.

--
Mario Bourque
Web: www.mariobourque.com