> Ah, but the question was (I think) whether they have great
interactions even if they don't have great visual design.

I understood the question to be 'Can the designer create great
interaction without great visual design skills?' This seems like a
difficult question to answer objectively without personally knowing a
designer and their designs.

My point was that while interactive products need to have great
interaction, not every interactive product needs to have *visual*
design. What about the Metro card machines in the NYC subway system?
They're cute but the UI is pretty basic. Despite this the
interaction design is great b/c they're fast and so easy to use.
What level of visual or product design skill, or engineering for that
matter, did those designers need to have in order to create a great
interaction design?