Janne, I think your gut is correct; the better a designer understands the
constraints of the medium he is designing for, the better the end result
will be.

The process of generating a "great interaction design" is a consideration
that is at least as important as the final design itself. While one does not
need to know the constraints of HTML, CSS, Javascript, and cross-browser
compatibility to design a web site, it certainly makes things a lot more
efficient. Otherwise, you'll spend a lot of time going back and forth with
developers telling you what is and is not possible. And since time is a
fixed resource, that is a massive opportunity cost that could otherwise be
spent interating on a good design to make it even better.

Also, there are many facets to "visual design". I strongly believe that all
interaction designers should understand the basics of page layout, visual
heirarchy, alignment, grid systems, and typography. As such, I highly
recommend all interaction designers internalize the concepts in this book:
http://www.amazon.com/Non-Designers-Design-Type-Books-Deluxe/dp/0321534050/&t=readishmael-20