I think what comes out of a lot of the examples that you mentioned is just how much people will bend almost any media into a form of communication. This is, for me, one of the most fascinating things about humans and also one of most interesting aspects of designing interaction or, rather, interactive systems. I've seen all sorts of interactive artworks, for example, that visitors have bent into communication with each other even though that wasn't the original intention. If people can leave a mark, they try to communicate.

You can't design how people interact or what people say to each other - but you can make it easy/hard for them to do so.

"Would you like fries with that?" - You can design what people say to each other and it happens a lot in corporate culture and politics. The question is if it is ever going to be meaningful...

Best,

Andy

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Andy Polaine

Research | Writing | Strategy
Interaction Concept Design
Education Futures