The argument for downplaying the role of the tech issues in the whole
discussion about social interaction design brought to my memory some
words put out by Theodore Roszack back in the eighties, basically
that the essence of the progress in culture and human communications
didn%u2019t coincide with the progress in information technology.
Quoth the aforementioned:

%u201CAny kind of experience %u2014 even %u2018inner experience%u2019
not induced by external stimuli %u2014 may initiate cognitive
processes leading to changes in a person%u2019s knowledge. Thus
knowledge/ideas can be acquired without new information being
received. Understanding an idea means knowing the peculiar sources of
inspiration of those who created and championed it, their
vulnerabilities, and blind spots.%u201D

I don%u2019t know if current social interaction tools are humane to
the point we can make that journey through another mind in the light
of other ideas, including some that we have fashioned from ourselves
from our own experience. Roszack also stresses the complex interplay
between experience, memory, and ideas, which is the basis of all
thoughts. Take experience here to mean the /stream of life/ as it
molds personality from moment to moment, not the empiricist
equivalent of mere information entries.

%u201CWe don%u2019t normally collect much experience of this sort.
The turbulent stream passes into memory where it settles out things
vividly remembered, half remembered, mixed, mingled, compounded. From
this compost of rememberd events, we somehow cultivate our private
garden of certainties and convictions, our rough rules-of-thumb, our
likes and dislikes, our intuitions and articles of faith.%u201D

Then human memory, the key factor here, is fluid, wavelike, drawn
from private fantasies we hardly admit to ourselves, not separable
labeled items subject to total recall. The ingredients of a lifetime
mix and mingle to produce unanticipated flavors, and just in the
right circunstance a single residue bubbles up into a well-formed
insight about life, an idea/knowledge. None of this is data
processing. It%u2019s the give and take of dialogue between two
minds, each drawing upon its own experience.

Weblog: http://maverickmath.site90.net/blog/
Twitter: maverickmath