My experience is that you as a UX person need to be involved in the product
definition or 'backlog' throughout the entire development process and not just
the beginning definition phase.  Sometimes you will need to be more of a
product manager than a UX person, and be willing to limit or streamline the
amount of documentation you end up doing (not necessarily a bad thing).  Just
In Time Design is an Agile mantra....  Be flexible and work directly with
developers as a team, not just delivering specs and wireframes then moving on.

It is important, however, to have a good strategic vision to build from, which
can often be the most challenging part to fit into an agile process.  There is
the concept of "sprint 0" - that this is the intial sprint where you work out
all of the high-level strategy and IA structure then create your backlog from
there.  I personally like to have specific UX deliverables or demos in each
sprint so that UX and possibly design stay 1 sprint ahead of the development
team.  The demo for the UX team is wireframes or a clickable prototype that is
presented to the group.

Jeff Patton has some interesting ideas and tips about UX and agile
http://agileproductdesign.com/blog/

Hope this is helpful.

Kim