My experience is very similar to Elizabeth's, except we spent about 8
weeks on "sprint 0" when we built the groundwork for our core
product.

I came at my current company from a waterfall-driven environment,
I'm the only designer, and found the same hurdles in the beginning.
I spent 2-3 weeks prior defining prototypes, wireframes, and mockups
before diving into stylework, which helped tremendously.

Also, as Elizabeth stated, we do iterative work, which means I keep a
big-picture concept in my head, we build features one step at a time,
and I am constantly evolving various parts of the interface toward
that big picture (which also changes every few weeks as we discover
new capabilities and limitations from our work).

It's been one of the most rewarding teams I've worked on, as a
designer (heck, as a developer).  Our rule is that our development
team doesn't do any UI work, and I promise not to do any controller
or model work.  They get the functionality working, throw it on a
page, and I take it from there.  They love that arrangement, and I
have more than enough to do without getting into the nuts and bolts.

Our particular variety of agile is a variant of Extreme Programming,
with one-week "sprints", 3x5 cards for each simple feature, and
stories and specs written before any programming is done.  We deploy
weekly but are capable of (and hoping to) move to a daily deployment
schedule - after I get over the willies considering what that
actually means.