I've seen dozens of these efforts over the years and many of them fail for
the same two reasons: 1) a failure to understand who you're marketing to
2) lack of clarity on what you want the campaign to achieve.

On #1: Organizations are big places with lots of roles. Which job
functions do you most want to raise awareness with? Focus on them. Get
people from those communities involved in planning the marketing campaign,
or even being the spokesperson. Treat the entire campaign as a design
process - it's absurd how few UX teams do this.

Posters in the break rooms, speeches at all hands meetings, etc. all seem
nice and good but are aimed at no one in particular. They are easy to
ignore. When was the last time you were inspired to do something different
at work because of a *poster* ? Probably never.

There is never a single person in an organization looking for *more* work
to do - certainly not while on break - and many UX teams unknowingly pitch
themselves as more hurdles for programmers and managers (UI Standards
almost always feel like a tax). So make sure the campaign focuses on how
the UI team helps programmers be more efficient or produce higher quality
software, etc. Show a photo of an ipod or a porsche with the tagline "want
your project to look and feel like this? Call us." will go much further
than yet another UCD diagram, which mostly makes people's eyes glaze over.

On #2: how you do you imagine the result of a perfect marketing campaign?
Will there be more requests for work from your team? More budget for you?
What? Handle this like a design problem - refine and refine what your
victory condition is. Awareness on its own doesn't buy much. Lets say
there is 100% percent awareness - what does that give you? Maybe you get
that magic X with 10% awareness, of the 10% is the right people.

The most successful way to market a UI team inside a company is to get the
lead programmer or manager of a successful release to talk to as many of
his peers and say "a big part of our success was working closely with the
UI Team from day #1". If you have no success stories, don't bother
marketing until you have one.

Nothing has more influence than an endorsement from someone with respect
and power. And nothing has less influence that the leader of a UI Team
talking about how important the UI Team is.

-Scott

Scott Berkun
www.scottberkun.com