On 10 Nov 2008, at 20:58, Jared Spool wrote:
[snip]
3) Activity-Centered Design (ACD): The design that results from teams that only research the activities. Because research is part of the design process, it extends beyond Genius Design (which solely is based on the team's experience). This is necessary when the activities are new or foreign to the team. (For example, a team developing an application for consolidating personal finances when they've never thought about personal finances in any of their previous projects.) Activity-based research techniques, such as workflow diagrams and task-based usability tests would come in very handy to help inform the teams using this approach.

4) User-Centered Design (UCD): The design that results from teams that look beyond just the activities, to the goals, needs, and contexts of the users. Because usage is all about activity, this approach needs to have the activity at its core. (Early UCD definitions always included an essential "task analysis" phase -- something that's disappeared from the lexicon, but is still essential to this design. Task analysis is, as far as I can tell, research about activities, and thus the core research component of ACD.) This design approach is informed by techniques such as field research (ethnographic techniques) and persona creation, which help the team to see contextual items and goals.
[snip]

That's the thing that's always confused me about the UCD vs ACD discussions - I can't understand how you can separate activities/tasks from the understanding of the user context/goals.

There always seems to be a little loop that I go around. Looking at the activities/tasks helps get deeper into the user/context. Understanding the users/context helps me get deeper into the activities/tasks.

You find that one group of users is actually a couple of distinct archetypes. Then you see that a particular goal is subtly different for each of those two groups - and suddenly you have two different goals with different tasks. Which lets you dig into the users behaviour more. Repeat.

I can't see how you can be activity-centred without being user centred. I can't see how you can be user-centred without being activity-centred. I'd love it if somebody who has a better understanding of ACD could explain to this particular bear of little brain.

Cheers,

Adrian

(BTW - I _love_ the fact that "genius design" is the label for the middle of the scale :-)