I suspect that ACD could be considered a modular component of UCD, a
component that could be exercised on its own, but which really should be
incorporated into a larger UCD process.

ACD should be a part of the design process, closely related to
functional design, one that -might- be sufficient on its own if a
designer is pressed for time or if a project has a very limited set of
functionalities.

In a way, ACD jumps from Requirements to Functions without focusing on
the intermediary step of thinking about how and why users would wish to
fulfill the goals that require said functions.

Jared, I like your scale metaphor. It's a continuum of design, which is
precisely how the real world functions.

In the company I work for, we often have to decide up front how much
design time and research time we can allocate. Although we don't have a
formal scale the likes of which you have proposed, I see in this scale a
very strong parallel to our projected design-depth results. Short term
projects tend to fall back on self and genius design, longer term
projects include ACD and UCD. The very best, robust projects, almost
always extend deeply into UCD (but include initial ACD steps).

I think the scale metaphor is very valuable. ACD also seems to be
closely related to Requirements Gathering and Functional Specifications
Implementation, so I think that it is precisely correct to put it as the
step before (or beneath) UCD on a scale. Many designs end a functional
implementations when really they could seriously benefit from a deeper
UCD approach.

Kudos,
Damon
Slinging my UX in Providence