Thanks, Jared. This really helps me to understand better where you
were coming from in your IA Summit keynote.

To me, the difference between UCD and ACD is mostly about WHEN, in
the timeline of a project, you start doing your research. Let me give
an example.

Let's say my client is a financial institution. They come to me
saying, "We really want to target people who are setting up their
first bank account. We're not sure how to make ourselves stand out,
so what do you recommend?." At that stage in the process, I would
definitely want to do UCD. I want to know what types of personas are
creating their first bank account. What are their unmet needs? What
do they want to do online with their bank account? What keywords are
they searching for when they research bank accounts online? etc. I
would begin with UCD.

But consider another scenario. Let's say the same financial
institution comes to me and says "I want to create an online tool
for people to check their balance, transfer money, and order more
checks." In that case, I could just begin designing a solution that
met those requirements. I wouldn't technically need to know more
information about my users to execute on that request. The
requirements have already been defined, so I would begin with ACD.

The problem is that the tool I build may or may not solve anyone's
real problem. I haven't gotten to the important questions, which
are:
- Why does the bank want to build this tool? (What is their business
objective?)
- What functions do the users want to be able to do?
- Which functions are most important?
- What would help this tool to stand out relative to the bank's
competitors?

And that's the nice thing about UCD. It puts us in the mindset that
we are solving problems, not simply executing on a set of
requirements. ACD seems to imply that the requirements are already
known. And while someone may have a set of requirements in mind, they
may not be the right ones.

So would it be reasonable to say that ACD is the logical continuation
of UCD? That is, after we understand our users' needs and wants, we
can then define which activities the users need to perform, and then
design a solution that enables those activities?