The myths about the efficacy or not of archtypes in design and design research tend to be promulgated by those that 1. Can't do them; 2. Have never done real design or ethnographic research; 3. To justify the tried and true fact that while most companies and clients say they want to do (insert silly acronym for process meant to sell services by people needing to fill a blog post or justify their fees); the truth is that design research is valuable, and costly. Real practitioners rely on real people research to inform design and those that can't or won't then write about how ineffective it is having never done it or validating the business decision not to do it because of cost. I heartily disagree with folks that think personas and archtype creation is just interviews & usability tests. It's also quantitative based in usage statistics, surveys, as well as psychographic, technographic and demographic. The analysis is more science, the narrative to fillout the archtype is art. If no other value exist, and many do- it is that when you make controversial design decisions that contradict the whims and pet assumptions of stakeholders, you have something to back up your argument. When it comes to prioritizing features and initiatives - you have something to inform cost benefit of every keep/drop decision. In the end - designing is just as much about power and politics and with user research you are negotiating your design from a position of weakness and it's better to have more than emty rhetoric, lack of data and ignorance of users when you enter that battle with stakeholders- and it is a battle, make no mistake. You may be given some degree of a honeymoon sometimes where people buys your designs without challenge but eventually those halcyon days will end and when they do, better have done the researg so you don't look like a horses ass. :-)

Cheers!

will evans
emotive architect &
hedonic designer