> Creating stereotypes and aggregates is useful in
> many endeavors.

Some endeavors. But if decisions are being based on a stereotype of
something that doesn't actually exist -- an aggregate in which bits
and pieces represent characteristics of different users, but in which
the whole represents no one -- then I question the usefulness of the
method. Wouldn't it be more efficient just to focus on the bits and
pieces rather than combine them into a fictional character?

On the other hand, I agree with what Marijke had to say on the
matter. Personas do make good communication tools, I think,
particularly with clients -- at least as long as the creators don't
go overboard on the details.