Todd, have you tried moving your music from an iPod to an open music
player?
Have you tried burning a song you paid for on iTune to more than 5
times?
Why are the songs on my iPhone wiped when I disconnect from my laptop
and connect to my desktop?

The iTunes ecosystem is a walled garden.  Try taking your music
outside, as I have experienced, and tell me you own your data.

If iTunes was acceptable you wouldnt have the many hacks/workarounds
http://www.rockbox.org/
http://lifehacker.com/5064933/sync-an-iphone-with-multiple-computers
etc etc

This is why I believe we do not need a list of rights.  Amazon
reviews, the hacker/maker community, sites like dellhell and similar
are demonstrating that users are more educated & empowered than ever.
/pauric