On Dec 31, 2008, at 5:39 AM, James Page wrote:

What challenges me in what you say about your Data-driven Personas is best answered by Chapman and Milham see:-
http://cnchapman.files.wordpress.com/2007/03/chapman-milham-personas-hfes2006-0139-0330.pdf

Their opening abstract shows that their lack of experience with real data-driven personas:

"We believe personas are likely to lead to political conflicts and to undermine the ability for researchers to resolve questions with data. We suggest potential research to evaluate the Personas method more thoroughly. Until the methodological issues are resolved, it is best not to consider personas to be a means to communicate data.fictional individuals."

Personas actually avoid political conflicts and are a key artifact to communicate the data for researchers. So, their assumption, or abstract is quite mistaken.

They are correct that there is no systematic approach to evaluating personas, that the industry differs in their approach and attitude towards personas. This is one of the reasons I started making data- driven personas. I would agree that we need better rigor with the approach, however, they seem to be throwing the baby out with the bath water here.

They also assume that because there are only a handful of personas, they can't possibly be effective, because some people might fall through the cracks:

"Given several personas, there is no good way to assess whether the group of personas appropriately represents the population of interest. How many users does a given persona describe? How important are those users for the project? If several personas represent several slices of the population, how many people fall between those slices?"

Well, that's the point—80/20.

Several years ago, we did research for large grocery store chain. We studied a few representative markets around the states and found that people shop grocery stores one of three ways and create lists for their groceries one of three ways. Over 300,000,000 people in the US and they all fall into 1 of 3 methods (except for singles, who fall into their own method, which makes 4 total).

Do some people fall through the cracks? Yes, but that's the point. You're not designing for 100%. Designing for 100% will ALWAYS fail. Designing for 80/20 has a much higher degree of success.

I'm a researcher first, designer second. I appreciate and advocate rigor in research work. But the problem I have with academia's approach to research is that often times they dismiss anything that doesn't have 95-99% statistical significance, when frankly, in the real world, that's rarely realistic or needed.

When you need 95-99% statistical significance, then do it. But know when you do and don't and act accordingly.

Finally, they have some good suggestions:
* Have some teams create a product w/o using products and others create the same product w/personas and see which one is more usable (albeit I would change this to better, because usable is only part of the equation). * Give the research data to multiple teams, have them create personas, and see if they create similar personas.

Based on their paper, my expectation would be that they have very little actual hands on experience with creating, validating, and using personas in practice. Their paper is much more theoretical than practical.

My experience has been much different than what they speculate. However, that could be due to the amount of rigor we put into our personas at Messagefirst, the fact that they're data-driven, and that we continually evaluate and evolve our methods.

The problem with personas isn't personas, it's the lack of knowledge people have with creating personas based on data. Fix that and we'll address the theoretical problems discussed in this paper.

Cheers!

Todd Zaki Warfel
President, Design Researcher
Messagefirst | Designing Information. Beautifully.
Contact Info
Voice:  (215) 825-7423
Email:  t...@messagefirst.com
AIM:    twar...@mac.com