Somehow every time someone says the mouse will go on retirement I am
not convinced. It's a seriously well designed product which has
lasted for what, over 40 years? The mouse provides quite a bit of
precision. Yes, perhaps it takes effort to learn, but with time
people can move items around at pixel level detail which I doubt will
be possible to do with fingers. Furthermore, when using the mouse the
hand rests at a 90 degree angle and is supported by a desk, which
suits longer working hours. Will people be able to move their fingers
and wave their arms for 9 to 5, 5 days a week? Unlikely as it will
require more physical energy.

The way I see it, retirement of the mouse is an over exaggeration.
Gestures definitely are a new way of interacting and will increase in
popularity. However, I think gestures will diversify our ways of
interaction and not replace the old, the same way paper still
supports us today along side computers.

Or am I in the denial phase? :)