I too use Axure to prototype, but not as much for its interaction but
rather for the ability to easily create functional specs.  To that
point, I find it very powerful for our development teams
understanding of my thoughts, but not as important for discussions
with the client.

Like William, I think that the lower fidelity the prototype the
greater the communication and understanding through that
communication with the client.

In my experience the most valuable tool is the idea and your ability
to convey it verbally, not Axure, not Flash, AJAX, Rails, or a #2
pencil and napkin.  With a good idea, a whiteboard, and a involved
client you should be able to go straight to wireframes and
prototyping.  Less than 50% of the time do I need to show my clients
wireframes at all if we've had the proper up front time.