Andy, I'd love to hear more about how you do design education online
and remotely.SCAD where I currently teach has a host of online
offerings that seem to be used more for supplementing scheduling
conflicts among in-person enrolled students than for replacing entire
degree programs.

Angel, I don't understand what your criticism is precisely. Are you
saying that studio education is bullshit b/c you met people who came
out of it who don't know who Tufte is? I would actually challenge
that as part of the "academic" side of the UX community who believe
that knowledge of information is more important than ones ability to
actually do craft.

In my short time here at SCAD I have noticed a few things. One is
that the design program teaches through doing, not through reading.
Reading is required for sure, don't get me wrong, but it is always
used as a means for supporting doing. Kinetic learning is the primary
form, and what that means is that students often internalize the
learnings of readings without afterward being able to reference them.
(THIS is is at the undergraduate level). It is only at the graduate
level well depth of knowledge and mastery of that information is
pressed. But still always against the mold of doing.

Let's get back to studio and to "design" education. There are a
host of HCI and UCD and UX and IA and even IA/IxD programs out there.
I would not consider any of these good "interaction design" programs
if they do not incorporate the foundations of design as a requirement
or use the studio method of education. They are learning environments
and what they teach can be quality and valuable, but without the core
principals of both foundation and studio and I'll throw in there art
history & criticism these are not design degrees.

I think this is at the crux of what Dan and Marc are speaking about.
That to continue not just as a UX discipline but as a DESIGN
discipline our educational system needs to be rooted in the same
foundations as all other design disciplines from architecture,
communication, and industrial.

Why is this so important? Because today's "other designers" are
much better equipped to move into IxD than most of us are able to
move into their domain, and the realities of the work ahead of us as
a society has less to do with websites and more to do with designing
entire situations and eco-systems which traverse all these
environments. So if we not only want to DO, but hopefully be
considered to lead (I mean why go for a grad degree if you don't
want to change your station; and notice I didn't say manage) you
need to be able to communicate & practice DESIGN across all these
disciplines.

Going back again to studio. Most people don't understand what studio
is and how it works. In my sketching workship I try to teach this
concept, but it is sorta difficult without living it. I think a
former colleague of mine in a discussion put it best. Jennifer Arden
(RISD grad) said studio gave her creativity endurance and stamina. It
taught her creative mind to keep working longer and harder. What I
would go further to say is that what I have experienced as an
outsider to studio world coming into it is that studio is a chamber
for behavior modification. Through this crucible we are re-taught
that which our parents and other adults beat out of us--that is our
creative spirits. The studio resuscitates our creativity and having
worked most of my life outside the studio world and recently thrown
into its frying pan in practice, I must say that when applied
properly it makes a HUGE difference not just to education but to the
ongoing design environment in which we currently practice.

But we are in a place in IxD where so many of us have not gone
through this fire and are hungry for learning and betterment and
advancement in our careers. I think it unreasonable to expect
everyone to have grad degrees to advance. What are we accountants
looking for MBAs? Please! Few if any Advertising creative directors
have grad degrees. They wouldn't have had the time. The only reason
we put special attention on it at all is b/c of our academic roots in
CHI where we feel that academic advancement is the true vehicle for
improvement. RUBBISH!

Practice is our greatest vehicle for improvement as designers and
hiring managers need to know this.

But we still are hungry and we need outlets for learning and exposure
to focused, dense, and deep learning opportunities. Online learning as
a mode of continuing education is totally cool for those that like
that type of structure. For others conferences with workshops, for
some just reading is good enough, and others they will want a degreed
education.

My call here is that we should not dilute interaction design
education with academic education principles and leave behind our
strong and I would argue needed connections to DESIGN education.

Again, I am really interested in how Andy P. is creating a space for
remote design education that maintains a deep connection to the
strong tradition of design education, that creates designers, and not
just design knowledge bearers.

-- dave