Another method I've both heard about and (briefly) used is to get a
person already doing the job to teach you how to do it.

Judy Ramey has a case study about working with healthcare
professionals reading a large set of medical images. She ran into two
problems: first, they worked so quickly that she wasn't able to follow
their actions without some explanation; second, they could not stop
and talk while they were working (both due to time demands of the job,
and because it interrupted their workflow).  To address this, she:

- Received some basic training on how to "read" an image. This
primarily involved simply learning how to move through the process:
mount them for viewing, the systemmatic viewing of details, etc. This
did not, of course, make her a medical expert, but it let her have a
good feeling for the mechanics.
- Video taped some work sessions and then viewed them with the HCP in
a retrospective. In some cases, I think they actually got out the
images again for a "replay".

One concern about using "self-discovery" methods to learn about a job
is that you need to be careful that you don't assume that everyone's
reaction is the same as yours. Participation can give you a first-hand
view and can be an excellent way to learn the mechanics. But, it's
just one view (even if a well-informed and well-documented one).

Someone mentioned issues of covert vs. overt participant observation.
There's no particular reason why this exercise should be covert, in
most cases. In fact, there can be some advantages to being "one of
them" and actually trying to learn the real job.

Cognetics had a project some years ago for a utility company
(regulated, unionized workforce). We were the third company to try to
design a hand-held device for their field service folks. The first
thing the person working on the project did was a day of
"ride-alongs". There wasn't much he would be allowed to do, but just
going through an entire day provided a lot of insights. The real
pay-off however, was when the new design was reviewed with some users.
One of the ride-along participants stood up to say "These guys took
the time to really find out what we do out there."

I'm constantly hearing that user research takes too much time, and so
we should find ways to work around this problem. Perhaps the question
we ought to be asking in each situation is exactly what we need to
know, and decide on the most efficient way to learn it.

--
Whitney Quesenbery
www.wqusability.com

Storytelling for User Experience Design