This is particularly such a hard topic to discuss. There are many
nuances being outlined here that might be missing to the average
designer.

People should know that Jim is talking in terms of decades of
experience in his personal practice.

I also want to re-iterate when he says that only some 5% of designers
can really effectively practice like this.

These 2 elements provide for me a big question of "scale" for the
design community and path. What I mean is that there is more work for
designers than can be effectively supported by this design system (my
overall concern w/ Apprentice/Mentor models in general--personally I
think this is a personal and necessary parth to take, but only after
formal education; more below.)

1) It would seem a path steeped in deliberate education of foundation
of craft, theory and methods is still required before one can
apprentice at this level, to be able to deconstruct the unarticulated
practices of their "masters".

2) Jim alludes to the lifestyle that such a practice requires, which
I find really interesting in an age of people already struggling to
bring work/life balance to their universe. Is there an ethical
concern for suggesting such a practice.

To me RED is not a decision, or a career path or even a philosophy or
method, but a career milestone. The reason I feel compelled in this
direction is that the answers that Jim gave to my questions tells me
that there is no structure to the education of the practice and thus
it cannot be codified or otherwise repeated/handed down with
consistency. Even martial arts of the most ancient variety have
evolving patterns of education systems that from the POV of adjacent
generations has a pedogogy and practice that is consistent and
articulatable.

While it is interest to know about this practice, I'm not so sure I
see value in knowing about it? or even understanding it. Further b/c
it seems to exist outside the "norms" of practice (just
statistically speaking) it doesn't seem to communicate using
language that can engage the rest of the design community.

I'm not her to condemn the practice, but just question it as
something really parallel to user-centered design.

-- dave