David Malouf writes:

Q:
Like Jonas I have another question regarding education. When you
speak of "junior designers" have these designers been through at
least a formal bachelor design education like yourself? Are there
things that designers should look for in that formal education, such
as strong foundation skills.

A:
Some, but not all.  One was educated as a traditional architect and
picked things up brilliantly.  Some have come from writing and film
back grounds and have similarly been adept at learning how to design
and document interactive products and software.  Where these
individuals are likely to differ from someone with a more formal
design education might be their ability to pursue or address issues
beyond simply the interactional aspects.  Such as (for example)
branding and graphic design, or development of physical models (for
physical user interfaces), or other design skills and knowledge that
could be introduced in a formal design education.

I think that the kind of solid design education that you are talking
about is incredibly valuable.

Q:
Lastly, when you review portfolios to understand the potential of a
junior designer (future apprentice) what are the clues in that
portfolio that highlight their potential.

A:
I'd look for several things, including what they might have done
previously (documented work, particulary in the area of documented
interaction).  I'd interview them about roles they might have played
on teams, and ideas they might've wanted to try but were not allowed
to or unsuccessful in pursuing.

A candidate's deeper background is also very helpful in
understanding why they may be seeking to work in particular ways.
Some designers I've met will show an enormous range and number of
things they've done, all in creative areas.  Those designers are
proving that they have broadly applicable creative and thinking
skills, so that's a plus.

A knowledge and familiarity with the field, and larger development
history is also valuable.  And a lot of time with a new candidate or
teammember is simply discussion, rather than a Q and A grilling
session.  The kinds of people we look for to work with aren't being
sought to fill a formally-described slot.  We're looking for a
flexible associate with potential to contribute in a variety of ways
and grow as we also continue to learn and grow ourselves.