Nehal,

I think this is a much more productive way to think about what we mean by
the term 'experience'. You've articulated a few variables that can affect a
person's experience: expectation borne of experience - which is essentially
a conflation of your use of familiarity, memory, and the references to
either getting, or not getting what you expected. You also talk about the
notion that experiences are built up over time.

The working definition of an experience I prefer is the one that goes
something like "An experience is the aggregate of all interactions with a
product/service/thing/entity". I think that this definition encapsulates
most of the elements you've mentioned.

I don't agree with your statement: "an experience is what you get when you
didn't achieve what you wanted". I have to ask: what is it called when we
*do* achieve what we wanted? If the interaction is consistent with your
expectation isn't that also an experience?

But basically, I disagree with the notion that it's reasonable to attempt to
model experience using mathematics. Especially using undefined terms such as
'soul' and rather unwieldy concepts - mathematically speaking - such as
memory or emotion. Lastly, it's probably worth pointing out that experience
is a qualitative concept. Whilst you may be able to measure the intensity of
an experience - in subjective terms; or the effect of that experience on
some other attribute - such as brand perception; the experience itself is
not subject to such analysis; it can only be described in terms of other
things.

You might like to take a read of Eric Reiss' attempt at defining (user)
experience
http://www.fatdux.com/blog/2009/01/10/a-definition-of-user-experience/.

Regards
Steve

--
Steve 'Doc' Baty | Principal | Meld Consulting | P: +61 417 061 292 | E:
steveb...@meld.com.au | Twitter: docbaty | LinkedIn:

Blog: http://docholdsfourth.blogspot.com
Contributor: UXMatters - www.uxmatters.com
UX Australia: 26-28 August, http://uxaustralia.com.au