I do agree that game experience carries well into other forms of
interaction design. I've consciously applied game elements to web
apps and sites I've supported, as it seems to me that online gaming
has already done a lot of the heavy lifting in figuring out what
engjavascript:checkForm()ages users.

I was surprised by her description of narrative and database as
"natural enemies." Not having working in the gaming industry
itself, only borrowed from it, I had no idea these lines of division
existed.  Database and narrative have always seemed both crucial and
complementary in any design experience, not at all enemies.

In fact, the Agile Scrum method is a perfect example of how the
narrative process can be applied for the betterment of a given site
or app's design - it's all about user stories driving development
and design. And in my brief online narrative forays (interactive
teaching & online stories), the database empowers the narrative and
the narrative helps describe the database.

Fascinating read, from my outsider perspective.