Hi Courtney,
Another thing to consider is internationalization.  We abandoned the use of
 field label colons for string replacement as it pertains to
internationalization.  For example, in languages like Arabic that read right
to left, it looks strange to have a colon placed at what becomes the
beginning of the label. (I know, the whole page layout should be
re-oriented, but many times that is not in the cards, resource-wise.)

If you're already using "label" tags appropriately, there's probably a way
to strip out the colons programatically so you don't waste time doing this
manually. Hope this helps!

Kind regards,
Angel Anderson