Erik,

One option is to do a Masters in Human-Computer Interaction, which has
slightly more emphasis in psychology, with a sprinkling of design,
anthropology, systems thinking, etc.
I'm currently enrolled as a Masters student at University College
London for their Human-Computer Interaction with Ergonomics program
(http://www.uclic.ucl.ac.uk/), and they do generate quite a fair
number of practitioners in the field for the UK, since being around
since 1967.
I am quite confident of the program, myself coming from a Computer
Engineering background, and having worked in the telecoms field doing
software and web development.
While I admit that good design is practiced, there are things you can
learn in class to speed up that transition.

Boon