I really don't see the point to all this for us in this community. A
timeline of the greatest "interactive" inventions of all time seems
really pointless as a means of expressing the history of the
discipline of "interaction design".

Despite Christian's snide comment, what I was referring to was less
about "design" but about using methods, applying known theories,
and understandings for achieving great IxD, as opposed to well,
"genius".

One might say by acknowledging these earily genius' we are saying
that everything we believe in as a discipline and a practice is well
meaningless.

On the other hand lauding these accomplishments in such a way that
outlines what makes them great interaction designs. What part of
their aesthetics? their use of time? the quality motions? their use
of affordances? etc. etc. And most importantly how did they impact
behavior?

It might even be worthwhile to create a set of criteria that makes
something a great interaction design as opposed to us just randomly
using our gut to express these notions.

Again, though I'm not so sure that saying "great invention" is the
same as "great interaction design".

- dave