Agree with many who like the more ambient, less vocal type approach, personal faves are American Analog Set, Laika and of course Sigur Ros, but also enjoy a good dose of Jose Gonzalez or Cat Power if in the mood for vocals.

Have to say when I really need to get stuff done, I need a steady beat and some fuzz on the guitar... I keep a lot of Tragically Hip on hand (despite it being the most MOR rawk imaginable) mostly because I end up three hours later having pumped out fifteen wireframes... Husker Du also on heavy rotation for this kind of duty; also find Metallica works well at keeping the hypothalamus occupied while the cerebral cortex gets busy.

cheers
Anthony